Easy Chicken Cacciatore
- Do Anything Savory Tomato Veggie Sauce
- 6-8 bone-in, skin-on chicken legs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and lightly smashed
- Serve with polenta, rice, pasta or some crusty bread to dip all that delicious sauce!
Option 1: Add other veggies, such as a bell pepper, a handful of cherry tomatoes, a few celery stalks, thinly sliced carrots, a cup of sliced mushrooms
Option 2: Add greens! Spinach or torn kale make a lovely addition.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Season chicken with salt.
- In a large heavy pan (e.g. a Dutch oven), heat half the butter over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 4-6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a platter as it finishes cooking and set aside. Repeat with remaining butter as needed.
- Add onion, and garlic and any other chopped veggies you might be using, and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add wine or broth and bring to a simmer. Add jar of Do Anything Savory Tomato Veggie Sauce. Return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Nestle chicken and any accumulated juices into liquid and vegetables.
- Transfer to oven and cook, uncovered, until chicken is fully cooked through and tender and sauce is slightly reduced and thickened, about 30 minutes. If using kale or spinach, stir in until they wilt. Add olives, and serve.