Ultimate Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
While more traditional tomato soups are full of cream or take hours to simmer, ours is one that’s a breeze to throw together but satisfies all the same. Add a grilled cheese with more veggies or an egg for protein and dinner is served. Better yet, It's easy to scale it up for a crowd.
- Do Anything Savory Tomato Veggie Sauce
4 pieces thickly sliced bread
2 cups shredded cheese (we recommend a sharp cheddar or gruyere)
Butter or mayonnaise
- Option 1: Add greens (spinach, kale or basil) or sliced tomato for extra veggies
- Option 2: Go French and turn into a Croque by adding ham and topping with a sunny-side up egg
- Option 3: Add bacon, ham or even leftover shredded rotisserie chicken
- Preheat the over to 350ºF
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add Do Anything Savory Tomato Veggie sauce and 2 to 3 tablespoons of water.
- Sprinkle 4 slices of bread with evenly divided cheese and top with the remaining 4 slices of bread to form 4 sandwiches. Pressing down gently to set.
- Spread sandwich tops with half of the butter or mayo, carefully flip the sandwich and spread the remaining butter or mayo on the other sides
- Heat a large pan or griddle over medium-low heat until hot, about 4 to 5 minutes. Place 2 to 3 of the sandwiches in the pan and cook until the bottoms are golden brown and the cheese is starting to melt, about 5 minutes. Flip the sandwiches and cook until the second side is golden brown and the cheese is completely melted, about 5 minutes more.
- Add cooked sandwiches to sheet pan in oven. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Let cool 1 to 2 minutes before cutting each sandwich in quarters.
- Ladle warm soup into cup, and serve.